The European Union is a product of negotiation. Its multi-layer and multi-player policy-making labyrinth is also a constant negotiation process taking place at different levels and involving a variety of actors. The specificity of the European Union governance structure puts forward the purpose of reaching agreement on the realization of a common interest where conflicting interests are present. European integration is therefore a never-ending process of reconciling undeniable diversity with equally undeniable common aspirations. Moreover, the Union is not only in itself a major site of negotiation, but also a major participant in multilateral negotiations. Many aspects of the Union’s external relations are managed through negotiations and the European Union is considered a major negotiator in different international contexts (United Nations, World Trade Organization, trade agreements, enlargement negotiations). The aim of this seminar is to allow participants to grasp the complexity and the distinctiveness of negotiation processes taking place within and with the European Union.
- To decipher the complexity of the European Union negotiation processes
- To gain practice-oriented understanding of the specificities of the EU multi-layer and multi-player policy-making
- To grasp the European Union procedural and working environment, formal and informal rules and interactions
- To developed strategies and tactics for effective negotiations in various settings
- To improve interpersonal skills for effective communication in a multicultural context
The program is intended to be highly interactive and participative, fueled with experience-sharing sessions, real life examples, case studies and role-play exercises. A combination of presentations, group activities and simulation exercises will allow to establish contacts and to share experience with experts and between participants. Participants will not only be able to understand the specificities of European negotiation process but also to develop interpersonal skills necessary to become an effective negotiator in a multicultural context.
Private and public sector representatives, civil servants, administrators, agents specialized in the field of European affairs in the EU Member States, candidate and third countries
- Dates : from June 21 to 25, 2021
- Teaching language : English
- Format : on line
- Tuition fees for candidates without a French government grant are 1400€ (these fees will have to be paid in advance by transfer)