The concours externe is for students pursuing university-level studies. This includes students from the universities, graduate business or engineering schools (grandes écoles), the écoles normales supérieures (originally training schools for professors), certain military academies and the institutes of political science (instituts d'études politiques).
Conditions for taking the examination
- Have French nationality or that of a member State of the European Union
- Hold at least a degree of the second cycle of university-level studies (licence or equivalent). Actually all the candidates to the students examination hold a master degree.
The entrance examination is in two phases: qualifying examination (admissiblité) and then, for those chosen, the examination for admission (admission). Both have several parts.
The qualifying examination : 5 essays written
- Based on public law, economics and contemporary issues, social questions and Public Finances
The examination for admission
- Oral examination on European Union questions
- Oral examination on International issues
- Interview with a panel
- Interaction group assessment
- Foreign Language (English will be compulsory in 2018)