The "troisième" or third concours is intended for persons coming from the private sector, or having held elective office at the national, local or trade union level, with a combined total of eight years of professional experience. This experience is tested in a specific entrance examination. No university Degree is required.
In practice, those having taken this examination include MD, journalists, lawyers, company management control officers, consultants and others.
Conditions for taking the examination
- Have French nationality or that of a member State of the European Union;
- Provide proof, as of July 1 of the year of the examination, of least a total of eight years of experience in one or more professional activities outside of the civil service or elective office.
The entrance examination is in two phases: qualifying examination (admissiblité) and then, for those chosen, the examination for admission (admission). Both have several parts.
The qualifying examination : 5 essays written
- Based on public law, economics and contemporary issues, social questions and Public Finances
The examination for admission
- Oral examination on European Union questions
- Oral examination on International issues
- Interview with a panel
- Interaction group assessment
- Foreign Language (English will be compulsory in 2018)